Specimen Information

Dreissena polymorpha
Dreissena polymorpha
(zebra mussel)
Mollusks-Bivalves
Exotic

Specimen ID156105
GroupMollusks-Bivalves
GenusDreissena
Speciespolymorpha
Common Namezebra mussel
StateOH
CountyOttawa
LocalityLake Erie off the southeast shore of North Bass Island [western basin]
Mapping AccuracyAccurate
HUC8 NameLake Erie
HUC8 Number04260000
HUC10 NameLake Erie
HUC10 Number0426000002
HUC12 NameLake Erie
HUC12 Number042600000200
Map
+
Collection Day1
Collection Month6
Collection Year1996
Year AccuracyActual
Potential Pathwayshipping
Statusestablished
Reference 1
Ref. Number:13251
Author:Bially, A., and H.J. MacIsaac
Date:2000
Title:Fouling mussels (Dreissena spp.) colonize soft sediments in Lake Erie and facilitate benthic invertebrates.
Journal:Freshwater Biology
Volume:43
Pages:85-97
CommentsDuring autumn 1995, waves generated by a hurricane-associated storm ranged from 2 to 5 m. Mussel beds that were virtually continuous at 9.1m during August 1995 had been obliterated prior to June 1996, at which time they commenced their study of colony recovery.
Record TypeLiterature
Freshwater/MarineFreshwater
Specimen Impact94% of the mussels collected at the 7.3 m sample were D. polymorpha, the other 6% were D. bugensis.


Disclaimer:

The data represented on this site vary in accuracy, scale, completeness, extent of coverage and origin. It is the user's responsibility to use these data consistent with their intended purpose and within stated limitations. We highly recommend reviewing metadata files prior to interpreting these data.

Citation information: U.S. Geological Survey. [2022]. Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Database. Gainesville, Florida. Accessed [12/2/2022].

Contact us if you are using data from this site for a publication to make sure the data are being used appropriately and for potential co-authorship if warranted.

For general information and questions about the database, contact Wesley Daniel. For problems and technical issues, contact Matthew Neilson.